Posted tagged ‘pine’

Moving on, with lessons learned

July 25, 2010

I’ve blogged about my IATSE 618 logo project several times.  I am feeling the need to get the final project out of my head, so I can move on to something else. I tried several new techniques, most of which turned out rather well:  New stencil paper, arced tape lines, stencil numbers and letters.  I’ve learned a few unexpected lessons along the way as well:  Don’t over-burnish the tape, ’cause you’ll get dimples; the stencil numbers are rather sticky and the wood needs to be cleaned after use; and most importantly, measure the length of the nails used in the sawtooth picture hanger.  I couldn’t fix the last problem, and have been angry at myself for this simple mistake for quite awhile.  It’s time to move on.

Not that I won’t come back to it, but I think I need to mix it up a bit.

IATSE progress

May 21, 2010

I’ve finally had some progress with my version of the IATSE 618 bug.  Take a look:

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

IATSE meets Stained Woods

January 31, 2010

My worlds are colliding.

I believe I’ve mentioned before that I’m a stagehand.  A sister in good standing in IATSE Local 618, Bloomington, IN.  That’s International Alliance for Theatrical Stage Employees.    One of my friends asked if it would be possible to get a Stained Woods version of our logo — or bug, as we call it.  It already looks like one of my star patterns, and thought I’d give it a try.  So, I spent an afternoon doing a quick mock-up, and trying a couple of new techniques.  Overall, I think it was a successful — even though a bit hurried, and therefore sloppier than I’d like — trial run.

More RBS

March 16, 2009

Stain/design testI don’t usually start staining w/o a solid design in mind, but thought I’d try it on this one.  It makes sense, since I’m working with someone elses’ work.  They need to happily co-exist…or something.  It also gave me a chance to see how my latest stain purchases work with the older ones.   So, I latched on to the best part or two of my sketches and went to work.  I’m using a rather warped piece of pine that is both too long and too narrow — but close enough for testing and sampling.

There’s my trusty bone folder.  It’s that flat, plastic bookmark-looking thing at the top next to the tape.  I use it to burnish the edges of the tape.  The stain likes to spread everywhere if I’m not careful. Yes, I run the bone folder over ever single edge of tape.  Carefully.  I can always tell when I’m too tired to work, because I’ll miss an edge and end up with stain seeping into the next part of the work.  Which means more effort in the long run.  Best to be conscientious in the first place.


With marble

New Trivets

December 7, 2008

I’m not sure why I’ve decided to work on a bunch of different trivets at one time, but that’s what I seem to be doing.  New designs and new sizes.  More complex than ever before.  It’s exhausting.

In the past the trivets have been 9 1/2″ squares of pine that I stain and finish with polyurethane.  Many, many coats of polyurethane.  It works great.  I’ve been known to take things straight out of the oven and onto the trivet without any problems.  Now, I’m trying out some 6″ squares.  I think they will work out nicely.  I’m working on several different pieces right now, including a better version of the DC Star — both large and small.



That’s actually the smaller DC star, and a comparison of the two sizes with another pattern.  I guess I should look up what that one is called, huh?  Any ideas?

The beginning of stained woods

November 25, 2008


I didn’t start out staining wood–I painted it.   The first piece I did was a raw wood toy chest-type thing.   It was the first time I realized that I needed a creative outlet to offset work (and sometimes life).  The pattern is a takeoff from a school assignment where we had to draw our versions of a mandala.  It’s done in acrylics, and I’m not sure how many months it too to finish.  I do remember mixing all the paint, and having to re-do parts that I did not like.  I’ve also had to refinish it a couple of times, but once I put on several coats of Polycrylic (it’s a Minwax product) in 2003, it’s been fine ever since.

DC Star

November 13, 2008

I think I’m getting this one worked out.

I worked on a sample version on a warped pine trivet that I had lying around.  I snapped a few pics to show the process if anyone is interested.  I’ve already changed my mind, and it no longer fits on the 9 inch square that I was using.  I added a line outside the big star, and it looks like I’ll need to reduce the size.

I purchased a new circle cutter, and was pleased to find out that it seems to work well for painter’s tape!  I’m looking forward to doing an offiical version.  Yes, I have a few more changes in mind.